Just as a consumer has choices, at Prowess Design, we take our business choices seriously, including in the way we obtain the products we sell. We strive to have a positive impact not only within our stores and corporate family, but also upon hundreds of vendor manufacturing facilities throughout the world which make our products, as well as on their employees.
We see these choices as part of a work in progress. Sustainability efforts can be challenging and difficult, often hampered by limitations in technology, but we are trying to take the steps in the right direction.
Prowess Design Facts:
- All of Prowess Design’s plastic and paper bags are 100% recyclable and reusable
- In the spirit of the holiday season, Prowess Design HQ employees hold an annual donation drive which collects toys, food, books and clothing that are distributed to local community organizations
- Prowess Design’s Headquarters is the site of California’s 3rd largest solar power installation
- We will continue to transport our products via sea vs. airfreight in order to help reduce carbon emissions.
- Our new stores are using energy efficient lighting systems to vastly cut down on the energy usage.
- We recycle all shipment boxes at our distribution center daily.
- More than $11.5 million (retail value) of merchandise was donated throughout 2016
- $100,000 was donated to DonorsChoose.org from our 2016 holiday Give to Love, Love to Give collection
- Nearly $20,000 was donated to Keep a Breast from our 2016 October BCA collection
We have partnered with I:Collect (I:CO®), a leading global provider for the collection, reuse and recycling of apparel, footwear and other textiles, to extend the life of unwanted clothing and shoes in order to help reduce landfill waste. Come to a participating store and drop off a bag of unwanted clean, dry items. We accept any apparel or footwear brand. To say thank you, you’ll receive a 15% off coupon for your next regular price purchase. Wearable items find new homes and those deemed unwearable are repurposed or recycled into raw materials for new products like insulation, carpet padding and even new clothing. For more information on I:CO, please visit www.ico-spirit.com.
- 3rd Street Promenade
- Anaheim Plaza
- Antelope Valley Mall
- Fashion Valley
- Galleria at Tyler
- Inland Center
- Lakewood Center Mall
- Los Cerritos Mall
- Montebello Town Center
- Moreno Valley Mall
- Ontario Mills
- Sanita Anita Mall
- South Bay Galleria
- South Coast Plaza
- The Americana at Brand
- The Shoppes at Chino Hills
- The Shops at Mission Viejo
- Topanga Center
- University Town Center
- Valley Fair
- Annapolis Mall
- Montgomery Mall
- Garden State Plaza
I:Collect offer is valid from April 22 through May 21, 2017 at participating Prowess Design, XXI, F21 Red, or Prowess Design “$10 and Under” California, Maryland, and New Jersey locations. Not valid online. Exclusions apply. Coupon redeemable per its terms. See participating store for details.
Some participating Westfield Mall locations have extended valid dates (April 22-December 31, 2017). Please see participating stores for specific offer duration.
1. Supplier and Vendor Social Compliance and Ethical Sourcing
We care for our employees and for the employees of hundreds of vendor manufacturing facilities that we work with throughout the world. We want all of these employees to work in safe and healthy environments.
Prowess Design shares the same goals of eliminating child and adult forced labor, and we are fully aligned with the spirit and purpose of Responsible Sourcing Network’s cotton pledge. Prowess Design signed the cotton pledge effective October 7, 2016. Prowess Design’s commitment to this issue is not new. Since 2013, Prowess Design has worked to ensure that none of its third party vendors knowingly obtain their supply of cotton from Uzbekistan.
Our Corporate Social Responsibility program includes the Prowess Design Vendor Audit Program. While many of our vendors have worked with Prowess Design for a number of years and are trusted, all suppliers and vendors must provide factory contact information and all factories must participate in the audit program.
Here are Some Important Elements of our Program:
- Prowess Design enters into a comprehensive agreement with each of our vendors and their factories under which they promise to utilize legally qualified workers, pay them wages which are fair and legal in their jurisdiction, and provide an environment that complies with their legal requirements. Our agreement also covers issues of time off, free association and movement rights, nondiscrimination, environmental protection and security. Our agreement expressly prohibits human trafficking and the use of forced, slave, child, prison labor, or labor from closed or freedom-restricting countries.
- These Vendor Compliance Standards were developed to comply with industry standards, local labor laws, the California Transparency in Supply Chain Act, the UN Declaration of Human Rights and the ILO Core Conventions.
- We have a highly trained Vendor Compliance Team, which promotes and enforces lawful and ethical operations at our third-party factory sites. The Team accomplishes this enforcement by conducting inspections of our active non-US Vendor manufacturing facilities on a random basis to ensure the Social Vendor Compliance Standards are understood, respected and followed. We also visit most non-U.S. Vendor factories before we hire a Vendor to ensure their facility and operations meet with our standards.
- After each factory visit, the Vendor Compliance Team provides a written evaluation of the factory, including any action items which may need correction prior to the next visit. We also do our best to provide ongoing information, advice, and support on fair labor, health and safety, and related issues.
- Our goal is to work with the Vendors and their factories to help them improve and ensure consistent compliance. However, in the event that we discover very serious violations or violations which are not corrected within a reasonable time period after our corrective action plan has been issued; we may terminate that factory from our roster.
We believe this process assists in guarding against potential unsafe conditions, workplace injuries or mistreatment and discrimination, and also results in an overall improvement in our Vendors’ factory efficiency and product quality standards.